Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hip-Hippo Hooray! Card

I had playgroup at my house this morning, and we only had our friends, Renee & Preston over. While they were here Renee and I started talking scrapbooking and cardmaking, and I started showing her my Cricut.

Before I knew it we had a card! The one I made quickly for her this morning is slightly different than the one I made to show here, but the same Zooballoo Hippo was used.

Recipe:
Cricut (of course!)
Zooballoo Cartridge
Alphalicious Cartridge
Black Cardstock
(I used PaperTreyInk cardstock)
purple cardstock
(Recollections Brand, from Michael's)
white embossed paper
(pre-embossed with dots, from Lila's Scrapbooking, but you could use the swiss dots embossing plate in your cuddlebug)
Core'dinations Cardstock
(in Pink Diamond Gemstones)
Various Rhinestones
ATG Gun
(any adhesive is fine!)
Pop Dots
Studio G Stamps, and Pigment Inks
I love how this card turned out! I was at Michaels' the other day browsing around and wasting time and stumbled upon the newer (I think) Studio G Clear Acrylic Stamps that have the little sayings that can go well with animals. I just LOVE making cards with an animal on it, cows, horses, whatever it is but it's hard to find stamps that are inexpensive and have phrases that relate to the picture.
So the black base of the card is cut at 5.5"X8.5", then folded to be an A2 sized card (or 4.25X5.5)
The white, textured layer was cut at 5.25" X 4" so it was just smaller than the card.
I used the black ink on the front, I have started using almost all pigment inks, I seem to have issues with dye based inks almost bubbling up on the clear acrylic stamps, and the image doesn't go down smoothly, so I end up not liking the end product. I haven't figured out if it's related to the fact that I use a lot of cheap acrylic stamps, or what but either way it's annoying and avoidable completely it I just use pigment inks (and they dry slower, so I can emboss with them if I make the last minute decision to). Anywhoo, I used white pigment ink on the inside. I did use a Lavender dye based ink on the white embossed paper to accent the texture.
So, I cut the Hippo from the Zooballoo Cartridge in black at 4.5", then did the lower/layer function, cutting it again in purple. I did the shadow cut with plain whitecard stock and inked the edges. I assembled the Hippo, and drew the thin black line all around the interior edges of the hippo, decorated her eyes and nose also with a sharpie.

The crown is cut using the Alphalicious Cartridge @ 1.5" I believe. I just added some rhinestones to decorate it a little! I pieced everything together, and then added some glitter glue to the foot and tail.


Enjoy!
Dawn

No comments: